Corned Beef & Cabbage + a Trip to Ireland
This coming weekend my husband, Kevin, and I will be celebrating our 7th anniversary! Right after our wedding we took off on our honeymoon to Ireland. It was the best trip we have ever taken! Ireland is an amazing place to visit. We rented a car and drove around the country for a week, stayed in some really neat castles and manors, saw some beautiful sites, ate lots of delicious food, and celebrated St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin!
Almost every year since then, we have made corned beef and cabbage at home to celebrate the holiday. It’s so easy to make, not to mention tasty, that I can’t figure out why we don’t make it more than one time a year!
Here’s the recipe that I have adapted over the years. This is a single recipe that will fit into a slow cooker, but we always double it and cook it in a large roaster.
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Ingredients (for a single recipe)
- 6 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2-3 lb. corned beef brisket with the seasoning packet that comes with it
- 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- Bottle of Guinness beer
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 3-4 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 head of cabbage
1. Cut up the carrots and place in the slow cooker.
2. Chop of the onions into large pieces and place in the slow cooker.
3. Place the corned beef on top of the carrots and onions.
4. Season the corned beef with the packet of seasoning that came with it.
5. Spread the yellow mustard all over the top of the corned beef.
6. Pour the entire bottle of beer into the slow cooker.
7. Mix 1/4 cup of brown sugar in 1 cup of hot water and pour into the slow cooker.
8. Chunk up some potatoes and place them on top of the meat in the slow cooker.
9. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the meat is cooked through and vegetables are almost done.
10. Remove the corned beef and wrap in foil to keep warm.
11. Add the chunks of cabbage to the slow cooker with the other vegetables. Give it a good stir. Cook on high for an additional 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is crisp-tender.
12. To serve, cut the corned beef across the grain into thin slices. Serve with the vegetables. Pour a little of the cooking juices that are in the slow cooker over the top and enjoy!
Want more version of this tasty treat? Check out these recipes below.
Push Next (above) for more recipes!