Featured Health

Living a Healthy Lifestyle, Where Do I Begin?

Written by Brittany Petersen

     Starting your journey to a better you can be scary, overwhelming and downright confusing.

There is a lot of contradicting information about health floating around out there and knowing where to turn for information and guidance can be difficult. I’m going to let you in on a secret: no two individuals are the same. What works for your best friend might not work for you. Someone you know or see may be able to lose 80lbs by throwing all their meals in a NutriBullet and you may feel as though you are going to starve to death after one meal that isn’t solid. Another person may be able to heal a disorder by eating a certain kind of mushroom and you may break out in hives by the mere thought of one. Regardless of what platform or diet you choose to reach your health goal, understand that it will be a trial and error process and no two diets work exactly the same for any two people.  The most important thing is that you take control of your health and start your journey. I’m going to share with you three simple steps to help you begin your health transformation. 

Step 1. Set a goal. If you don’t know your destination how do you know which way to set your sails? 
Heres a little fun fact about goal setting:

     In 1985 Harvard University did a study on incoming freshman, they interviewed them and found that 84% of the students had no specific goals at all. 13% of the students had goals but they weren’t committed to paper and 3% had clear, written goals with plans to accomplish them. In 1989 the graduates of the original freshman class were interviewed again. Can you guess the results?
     The 13% of the class that had goals were earning twice as much as the 84% who didn’t have any goals. The 3% who had clear, written goals were earning ten times as much as the other 97% put together. 

     Wouldn’t it make sense that if you wrote down your health goal and a plan of action to reaching it you would be about ten times more likely to reach your goal than everyone else who sets health goals combined? If you decide to take my advice, let me know and  I will be more than happy to help you put together a plan for your health success! 

Step 2. Cut the crap. If you want to feel and look better you have to stop treating your body like a trash can. You can’t expect to stuff your body with processed, pre-packaged foods and frozen dinners and still look like a million bucks. Have you ever heard the phrase “you are what you eat and the things you think”? If you want to be healthy, vibrant and full of energy than eat foods that are healthy, vibrant and full of energy. Also, quit telling yourself that you are fat and ugly. You are a beautiful, radiant individual who just has ugly fat on your body to lose! Do you want to know something fantastic? It CAN be lost, to that same place where all the socks that get lost in the dryer go, a place where you will never find it again! Change what you feed your stomach and your brain, and your life will change. 

fastforwardworkout

Step 3. Bust a move, break a sweat. You wash the outside of your body every day, right? (At least I hope you do!) Well, the inside of our body needs that same attention. Get your heart pumping to clean the inside of your body as often as you clean the outside of your body. You don’t have to start off by running a full marathon or break a new weight lifting record, but you do have to break your own record. The beginning of your exercise regimen can be as simple as running to the end of the block and back today,  a block and a half and back tomorrow and then keep increasing the distance day by day. If you stay consistent imagine how far you will be 365 days from now! 

     You don’t have to be great to begin, but you must begin to become great! The world needs healthy people to help other people get healthy. I can’t wait to see how many of you make the decision to take the first step towards a healthy lifestyle. If you do make that step – please let me know, I would love to be with you on your health journey. Respond to this post with your health goal or any questions you have about living a healthy lifestyle! 

 (Featured Image)

About the author

Brittany Petersen

Certified Holistic Health Coach, Drugless Practitioner (AADP), Body By Vi Regional Director, Pure Barre Instructor, Certified Group Fitness Instructor (AFAA), Dance Teacher and Health Food Addict.