Remove Ugly Nail Polish and 9 other Items on Her List
16 Oct, 2012
Written By: Leslie Means
I choose my column topics off of events that happen during my week. Most of the time I have one or two things that stand out against my usual routine; my children do something profound, I get annoyed by someone at the grocery store or I find a mouse in my garage.
You know – things that actually create a story.
I didn’t have that last week.
Instead, I found myself going through the usual routine, slowly checking things off my to-do list. Usually I write the most important things from my to-do list on my hand so I won’t forget. I forgot this week.
When I got to the part of my paper list that said, ‘write column’ I realized I had nothing to write about. We’ve been together for a while now and I have to tell you, this is the first time I’m left speechless.
So glad I could get that off my chest.
To stay on schedule and meet deadlines, I do want to talk to you this week. I can’t promise it will be profound or thought provoking, but I’ll give it my best shot. Since I am such a list person, I decided to give you my to-do list made from events over the past week.
Here we go!
1. I have an unusually large amount of zits on my face. I am approaching my 31st birthday. I’m fairly certain an almost 31 year old shouldn’t have acne problems like that of a 13 year-old. I really need to call someone to help me look less like a teenage boy.
2. I let me 2 year old pick out a new fingernail polish color. The sparkly yellow looked so sweet on her tiny little fingers. It didn’t have the same affect on mine. I really need to remove this puke yellow color off of my hands but I’m out of polish remover.
3. That reminds me, I need to get groceries, desperately. My girls and I cleaned out our fridge this week. After throwing away a moldy tub of sour cream and an unusual looking container of pears, our fridge is bear. I take that back; we do have beer and that’s about it.
4. Since we have no groceries, my husband and I went out to lunch twice last week. That was fun. We need to do that more often, at least once a month.
5. Ella, my 4 year old, likes to clean. Last week she emptied our entire dishwasher before I was out of bed. I need to see if she would like to tackle more chores. Is it too soon to ask her to vacuum?
6. I spend entirely too much time on this computer. Probably more time on this computer than with my husband and children combined. In my defense, it’s all for work purposes. OK, maybe 20 minutes is for fun, but the rest really is for work. I need to change that statistic.
7. My girls watch entirely too much TV. Ella threw the remote across our living room a few days ago in protest of me turning off the TV. This is probably because I’m on the computer too much.
8. I hate breakfast. I tried to eat a banana this week but had to throw it away after it reminded me of my ugly fingernail polish. Instead, I drank my usual 2-3 cups of coffee and called it good. That’s probably why I have an acne problem. I drink too much coffee and not enough water. I’m working on it.
9. The older I get the more I understand how important it is to make confident decisions. I’ve came across so many people last week with low self-esteem and can’t believe what a difference it makes in their daily lives. I’m so thankful for my parents and my husband, all of whom have helped me develop a fairly strong self-confident attitude. I need to thank them.
10. On that note, I just realized I have a new column topic for next week, regarding self-confidence. I’m adding it to my list and will try to work on it before deadline. I think I’ll write it on my hand as a subtle reminder.
Read more articles from Leslie in the Kearney Hub.
What’s on your list this week? More importantly, do you have food in your fridge?