Aside from politics and the mess of this divided nation, what I struggle with the most is the impact Trump’s leadership will have on the next generation. I am going to safely assume that no matter what side of the ticket you were on, you will face a new force-field of difficult challenges in how you parent your children.
Parents must continue to raise their kids to understand that lying is wrong, bullying will not be tolerated, and every single person deserves respect- but will our children be influenced by the leader of our nation? It seems our country has already birthed a wave of unjust, inhumane aggression toward one another since the election results came in.
Under President elect Trump’s leadership, we must continue to reprove all discriminating behavior. Any threatening, dismissive, demeaning verbiage and aggressive attacks must continue to be unacceptable, because we must stand against ALL of it- and teach our kids to do the same. And although it seems okay for Trump to behave in such a way- as we witness the eruption of a mass following claiming hateful rhetoric inspired by his message- it must continue to be intolerable to us parents in how we raise our children.
It’s imperative that we raise our kids to become the next generation to stand for the same values we honor, the same principles we cherish, and the same human rights that ALL people deserve.
My kids are fully aware of Trump’s behavior and they understand deeply how wrong it all has been. They are old enough to respond with disgust and dismay in watching the behavior of our new president elect throughout this hideous election process, and they are now witnessing the unraveling of our nation’s great freedoms with great concern for our people.
Our kids are the victims of this new dangerous culture that has been created. It’s up to us parents to be intentional with how we influence their moral fabric as they navigate this perilous battlefield with fueled fires and unseen landmines.
There is an undeniable looming anticipation on how Trump’s values and his behavior will have an impact on Americans as he steps into the white house. We are already seeing the deterioration of equality and human rights unfold. It’s a chilling reality and it’s up to us, the parents-
To change the course.
We must be ever more vigilant in raising our kids to practice moral conduct, grounded in the principles of human decency and respect.
For the next four years, we parents must continue to teach our children the following five lessons with more intention than ever before:
- We must guide our children in controlling their anger and their impulses, and train them to beself-controlled, thoughtful, conscientious people with the understanding that what they say and do matters to not only them, but the people around them.
- We must raise them up to value all people and guide them in communicating their thoughts, opinions, and ideas with considerate and honest communication, delivered with a mindful, inclusive, and compassionate voice.
- We must supervise their online actions, preventing them from shouting reckless messages and impulsive claims, while instructing them on the value of manners, maturity, and discernment when it comes to freedom of speech.
- We must continue to teach our kids to understand that lying is wrong, bullying will not be tolerated, and every single person deserves respect.
- We must firmly plant their footing on the foundation of valuing every human being- respecting who they are, where they come from, what they believe, and how they live.
We must work hard to not only teach our kids these critical values, but BE a role model for them to emulate. We have a great calling in establishing the morality of the next generation, and it is up to our families to do the work.
Donald Trump by Gage Skidmore via Attribution Engine. Licensed under CC BY-SA.