Free shipping on all orders over $75🎄

So here is a little story:

For dinner, we ordered food from Cracker Barrel. We got a family dinner that came with biscuits with butter and little honey packets. Right after dinner, we were sitting in the living room. Maggie came over to me and pointed at her mouth and said,

“I just swallowed that.”

“Just swallowed what?” I asked.

“That shiny thing,” she said.

RELATED: Grieving Mom Warns Families About the Dangers of Button Batteries To Children

So I looked around for what she could be talking about and saw a Barbie doll on the table. Levi was sitting there too. His eyes got big and he said, “I just took one of those out.”

What he was talking about is a little button battery that was in the doll’s leg. The cover to it had come off.

I knew immediately that this was bad.

Dolls with empty button battery slots

We start getting ready to go to the hospital. While I was doing that, my daughter Eva was on her phone looking things up.

“Mom, it says to give her honey.

We still had little packets of honey just sitting on the table. How amazing is that? It was surely God’s kindness to us! So we gave her a couple of packets and grabbed the rest for the ride to the hospital. I gave her more in the car.

RELATED: The Childhood Accident we Narrowly Avoided

When they X-rayed her, sure enough, there was a battery but it has slid right down to her stomach where it is less dangerous. They keep her overnight with plans to possibly retrieve the battery in the morning. But first thing, they did another X-ray and see the battery was sliding down again into her intestines. At that point, there was very little risk. Maggie was discharged right after breakfast.

honey and button batteries

I was not planning to share this story. But multiple times, the doctors told us how good it was that we gave her that honey right away—because it coats the battery and keeps it from getting stuck. And I felt I needed to share how truly and awesomely God was looking after this little girl that night.

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust” (Psalm 91:12).


I had no idea this story would reach so many people, but I’m glad it’s helping to get the word out and am grateful for all the support and prayers.

After sharing, I was contacted by a couple of sweet moms who lost their children following battery ingestion. They are so amazing to experience such a loss and want to help others through their experience. Here are their websites for more information: 

Button Battery Awareness

Reese’s Purpose

Poison Control Center information on button batteries

So God Made a Mother book by Leslie Means

If you liked this, you'll love our new book, SO GOD MADE A MOTHER available now!

Order Now

Katie Jacobsen

Katie Jacobsen is a wife and mom to eight crazy kids, living in Ohio.

The Truth about Puddle Jumpers and Toddler Drowning, From a Grieving Mom

In: Kids
Little boy in Puddle Jumper on waterslide

The very last video I have of my 3-year-old son, Levi, is of him bobbing up and down in a Puddle Jumper.  His little legs kicking underwater, his eyes the spitting image of his daddy, and his older sisters, his happy grin, and his little voice saying “Cheese!” This time-stamped video, counting down the precious minutes we had left until he would end up in this very same pool, less than two hours later.  But this time, it was without the Puddle Jumper. I understand the sense of panic building inside you to avoid my story or read it just...

Keep Reading

“THROW THEM OUT.” Mom Warns of Tub Toy Dangers After Toddler’s Terrifying Infection

In: Motherhood
Toddler with eye infection

Depending on your toddler’s personality, bathtime can either be a lot of fun and cuteness or the most extreme cardio workout you get all day. But one thing you never expect it to be is hazardous to your child’s health. You supervise them constantly, have the water heater set to a safe temperature, and use tear-free soap and shampoo. Safe as safe can be, right? Maybe not. One mom recently found out the hard way about an unusual bathtime danger. She is sharing her son’s story in the hopes that it won’t happen to another family. Writer Eden Strong told...

Keep Reading

Mom Shares Toddler’s Near-Death Experience: “No Corded Blinds Are Safe”

In: Baby, Toddler
corded blinds

Parents are constantly being warned about safety hazards via social media, and I realize it can get a little wearying. As a new parent, I must confess that I didn’t do ev-er-y little safety thing recommended to me, but one warning I did heed (and this was before social media, so it must’ve been in a parenting book I read) was “no corded blinds in the baby’s room.” Though they may seem innocuous, your everyday window blinds are a serious strangulation hazard for infants and toddlers. Arika Hernandez, mom of a three-year-old knows this all too well, and she recently...

Keep Reading