Written By: Leslie Means
For 7 years (actually, more like since age 13) I’ve worn makeup. Not every day (as my friends would vouch) but during the important dates.
I recall wearing bright red lipstick to school, dark eye liner on my upper lids and plenty of foundation during my “on air” days. It’s probably the reason why I’ve heard comments like…
“Leslie, when you actually get ready, you look nice. But when you don’t attempt, well – you look rough.”
Yes, that was a comment made by my dear sis, Linds. (OK – she didn’t use those exact words, but that’s what she meant.)
And in her defense, she’s right. For so long people saw me with SO.MUCH.MAKEUP – they got used to it. And then they probably shuddered a bit when they saw me “naked” (my face, not my body) at Target.
Since leaving the TV world in late 2010, my makeup routine has lightened up – a lot. Since I spend half of my week at home in front of this lovely computer, I’m lucky to find time for a shower, let alone my makeup bag. And honestly, I love EVERY.SECOND.OF.IT.
I thought I would share my latest makeup routine with you. If you’re snoopy like me ~ you just might be interested. Follow the numbers below to see what I MUST.HAVE.DAILY ~ and the few items I can usually live without.
(FYI – these are numbered at random and everything in this bag was purchased at Target.)
1. Cute Make-Up bag. This is a must. Every so often I dump out my old bag to replace it with something fun.
2. Eye liner/sharpener. I only wear this now on “special occasions.” I can’t stand liquid liner – pencil is a must. I like to have thin lines on the upper lid only – with a little “cat eye” on the ends. This is one step I LOVE leaving out most days.
3. Mascara ~ waterproof (for the hot days and a time when I’m guarantee to cry) and non-waterproof; (usually when I want to wash my face quickly at night). I have both LashBlast (CoverGirl) and the Colossal Volume Express (Maybelline) in my bag right now. Both are fine; they were probably on sale when purchased. I try to wear *some* mascara most every day.
4. CoverGirl foundation/blemish concealer. I’ve worn the same foundation since I was 13. I KNOW! It’s time to change as my skin is starting to need more coverage. I just…can’t. I mean, I want to, but I don’t want to spend the money. Help is needed here PLEASE!!
5. Eye lash curler used before #3. Yes. I won’t get rid of him.
6. Sponge for sad #4.
7. Eye Shadow. I have about 8 different kinds. I LOVE Maybelline color tattoo and Revlon Beyond Natural. Both are creme shadows and can be applied in a snap. I think these are great for hot summer days ~ especially when eye liner is NOT worn. (Otherwise, the liner tends to run with this brand of shadow).
8. Face lotion. I have a cheap brand in my bag now and I really don’t like it. It doesn’t have sunscreen in it, which means I have to put sunscreen on first – THEN my face lotion. Should have looked closely at the label before buying.
9. CoverGirl compact/powder. Nice to use as a “finish” when I’m ready to roll. Again, sad to say I’ve used the same brand for 17 years. 🙁 Think I should change it up.
10. Make-up brushes. One for my eyes, one for powder, one for eye-brows. Usually try to purchase new brushes every few months.
11. Last but not least, bronzer. I buy the cheap stuff seems to work just as well as the pricey stuff. NYC – Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder.
P.S. ~ I have a HUGE bag of lipsticks, gloss, etc. Mostly they are from my TV days, but I still love to wear lipstick when I can. I personally think it can add a lot of spunk to any old style.
What is in YOUR makeup bag? Have anything you can’t live without? And what the heck should I use for a new foundation? I’m getting wrinkles, dark spots, etc – and I need a good cover up!