So, I did it. I left Dash home with Dad and Grammie and I headed back to the Good Life for a weekend with my college girlfriends. I knew that leaving him overnight would be hard on me. What I didn’t expect was how much fun that I’d have.

Walking out the front door was the hardest part. I was leaving my little man in extremely capable hands, but that didn’t stop the tears from stinging my eyes or my return trips into the kitchen for one last kiss. While sitting in the airport, I scrolled through the photos (over 1,000!) on my phone and tried to keep the lump in my throat at bay. Maybe I should have just taken him with me after all.

But, I boarded the plane and almost immediately fell asleep. That nap was glorious. And then, I read my book, uninterrupted. I haven’t done that in ten months.

I was able to stay up too late both nights, celebrating with my brother and his new fiancé, and then celebrating one of my best college friend’s wedding, without anticipation of a middle of the night feeding.

Admittedly, I did check my phone too often looking for a picture or news of my guy. I was told that in my absence he stood unassisted. Like any good mother, I told my husband that he should just push him over. He’s obviously growing up too fast.

While he was standing, I was dancing in heels that were too high. Telling fun college stories that felt much more recent than ten years ago. Catching up with friends that I hadn’t seen in much too long. And missing him, fiercely.

When my feet hit the ground back in Virginia, I almost ran to my waiting ride. Inside was my handsome little guy (oh yes, and my husband and mother-in-law) that I couldn’t wait to get my hands on.

Mommy needed a vacation, but it will be a long time before I want to take one without him.

Dash missed me so much that he spent most of the night letting me know. It’s been noted little man, it’s been noted.


Chaaron is a Nebraska native who lives in Alexandria, VA with her husband, RP, her son, Dash and her daughter, Pippa. By day, she's a program manager with a public charity in DC and by night, she is happily occupied with living room dance parties and dodging errant duplo pieces. She's terrible at updating her blog, but you can find her little slice of the internet at