I love fair season! My family is just winding down with the Adams County Fair. From getting all the critters (including the hamster) ready for the 4-H livestock and small animal shows, 4-H contests, and entering our cooking and gardening projects – it has been a busy week!
While all the family activities are great, almost everyone is drawn to the fair for the FOOD! Funnel cakes, frozen lemonade, and of course, all the ooey-gooey foods-on-a stick. Food-on-a-stick is a popular fair item, especially at the State Fair, but is often deep-fried and has a reputation for being unhealthy. Here is a super simple and fun way to enjoy a healthy & refreshing snack on a stick!
Enjoy this summer kid-friendly recipe!
- 7-8 bananas
- Popsicle sticks
- Large tub of Greek Yogurt
- Toppings of your choice (chocolate sprinkles, crushed cereal, chopped nuts, and/or sweetened coconut all work well).
- Peel and cut bananas into halves or thirds. Push popsicle stick part way into the cut side of the banana.
- Lay the yogurt-covered bananas on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Freeze for one hour.
- Pour sprinkles or other toppings in shallow bowls.
- Dip the banana into the yogurt. Use a rubber spatula or spoon to help cover the banana evenly with the yogurt. Roll in sprinkles or other toppings
- Freeze on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for another hour, then store in the freezer bags.