I used to love to cook. There was something satisfying about taking separate ingredients and turning them into something healthy and delicious that would nourish my family.
Then my kids got bigger. And busier. And pickier. And I had another baby. And I joined two boards, started an Etsy shop, and began writing for two blogs. I know many of you can relate- we all have a lot on our plates. Cooking became something I did almost as an afterthought. I mean, we need to eat right? More often than not I find myself throwing things together last minute, without much thought or intention. And ironically as I get older I am getting pickier about food. I only want to eat the most delicious things. So often I cook supper and find myself not even wanting to touch it. Which sets a terrible example for my kids, I know.
I know what you’re thinking… “wait, little miss uninspired cook is going to share a recipe with me? Pass…” But before you run away (really, wait, stop!), I need to tell you WHY I’m sharing all of this with you. The things I want to eat lately are drop dead delicious. And if I’m going to cook them, they have to be stupid easy. I was thumbing through my recipes a while ago and stumbled across an enchilada recipe. I love enchiladas, but really, who wants to take all that time dipping and rolling? So I took that recipe, simplified it a little, and turned it into an enchilada casserole. It takes about 10 minutes to throw together and 40 minutes to bake, and it is so good my husband and I fought over the leftovers.
- 3 cups leftover cooked chicken
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry minced garlic
- 1 15oz jar green salsa
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 oz Cheddar Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, if you want to get fancy (but you don't have to!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine salsa, cream, and sour cream.
- In a second bowl mix chicken, garlic, and oregano, plus 3/4 cup of the sauce and stir to combine.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce. Place 6 tortillas in pan, flipping to coat both sides of each tortilla.
- Pour the chicken mixture over the tortilla and spread evenly around the pan.
- Evenly sprinkle all of the cheese over the chicken.
- Dip each of the remaining tortillas in the remaining sauce and place on top of the cheese.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the casserole and spread to evenly coat.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling.