Early this summer my family went camping together for the first time since my sisters and I were little. It ended up being a cool weekend, but I’ll take that over really hot any day! We arrived and set up camp and put on a bunch of layers of clothing!
The plan for the weekend was for the guys to go fishing and the girls to just going to hang out and relax. I think we all succeed in our plan!
Of course we had to roast marshmallows and make s’mores both nights we were there. The boys loved that, plus the fire kept us warm!
Both mornings we were camping my brother-in-law and sister were in charge of breakfast. The second morning he made the best biscuits and gravy! I knew that I was going to have to try to recreate it at home.
The key was to put both breakfast sausage AND bacon in it! It was the perfect breakfast on that cool morning camping with my family.
We all had a great weekend and were sad when it came to an end. I’m assuming that my dad’s already got a weekend planned next year for us all to get together and go again!
- 1 pound breakfast style ground sausage
- 6 thick cut strips of bacon, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon all season salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Brown the sausage and cook the bacon together in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Drain extra fat off of the meat after it's cooked completely.
- Stir the flour in with the browned meat.
- Slowly add two cups of milk, stirring continuously.
- When gravy starts to thicken, slowly add in the other two cups of milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it has thickened.
- Add in the seasonings and red pepper flakes if you want to give it a little kick!
- Cook for an additional five minutes.
- Serve over warm biscuits with a side of bacon and eggs. Enjoy!