Chicken was on sale this weekend. Big time. Making each pkg (with 6 large pieces of chicken) only about 2-3 bucks. I think it may have been less than that – I threw away my receipt before taking a double look.
It was about to expire. Which might gross you out? But I grew up in a “eh, just freeze it” family – so that’s what I did. I grabbed a couple of these packages (would have seriously grabbed more if our rental freezer wasn’t so small) and, well threw them in the freezer.
That’s a lie. I put one pkg in the freezer and left a few pieces out to make my family’s favorite chicken dish.
I don’t really know what these are called. All I know is my mom made this recipe years ago and I loved it. There isn’t any spice in these bad boys – so you would need to add your own to make it a true enchilada? My husband loves this dish – my girls love it too. My recipe below serves our family of 4 easily. The girls split one, I have one and Kyle eats the rest (always with leftovers). If you have more than four in your family – you might want to make two pans. It’s just that good.
- 1 pkg large flour tortillas (8 in a pkg);
- 3 larges pieces of cooked chicken;
- 1/2-3/4 cup sour cream;
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup;
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 onion - cooked
- 1/2 stick of butter
- salt & pepper
- Dice onion and saute with butter. Set aside. Cook chicken. Meanwhile, add sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper and onion/butter mixture together in a small bowl. Stir. Dice cooked chicken. Place some of the sour cream mixture in the middle of a tortilla. Add chicken on top. Roll tortilla. Repeat until your 8 X 10 pan is full (holds 8). Spread remaining sour cream mixture on top. Sprinkle cheese over all. Cover with tin foil and place in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil from top and cook for 15 more minutes. Enjoy!
- I just put "some" of the mixture in each tortilla. Just make sure you have enough for all 8. If you run out of the sour cream/soup mixture - just add more sour cream to cover each tortilla.