Fall is here – hooray! Cool weather, crunchy leaves, football parties, the return of sweaters and boots, and apple picking are some of my favorite things about fall.
The weather has been perfect for apple picking here in the Midwest. Hubby and I took the boys last weekend, and they were having so much fun that they picked half a bushel of apples!
That presented a great opportunity to make a favorite family recipe Fall Harvest Cake. This cake is filled with the flavors of fall – pumpkin, apples, nuts, and spices. It smells so delicious while baking that your family won’t be able to wait to try it.
And here’s a bonus: it’s gluten free. But shhhh, unless you tell people, they won’t even notice.
The recipe is included in Gluten-Free Made Simple and is courtesy of Domata Living.
What you need:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sifted Domata Living gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup chopped pecans
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger
- Stir in pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, ½ cup at a time. Fold in apple and pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean inserted near the center. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Serves 12. (As an added treat, you can serve with whipped topping.)
Still have leftover apples like I do? Here are 11 other recipes you can try:
Apple oatmeal breakfast cookies
Light cinnamon apple crumb cake
And here’s a bonus:
Happy fall apple picking!