I’m sure most happily married couples believe their love was meant to be. I believe that about my husband Tom and me, but I believe our connection is even deeper than that. I truly believe that God, along with my mom, planned for us to meet. I love a good love story, but ours is my favorite of all.

Tom and I were both raised in the suburbs of Long Island, with our parents and older siblings (he has an older sister and I have an older brother). Growing up, my mom was my whole world. Her love for my brother and me was always at the forefront of her every decision and action. Everything she said or did was for us. After high school, I received a full scholarship to a local commuter college. I couldn’t imagine living away from home, especially being away from my mom, who would literally cry every time we dropped my brother off at his college dorm room. Even though his college was only an hour away, we saw him every other weekend, and we talked with him on the phone daily, she really missed him. So I knew going away wasn’t the right fit for me and I was thrilled to be able to go to school so close to home. 

During the start of my second semester, January 2005, my mom started having abdominal pain and abnormal bleeding. She visited her doctors and the emergency room numerous times and was told she had any number of things from hemorrhoids, to a virus, to just regular menopausal changes. But she still wasn’t feeling right, so that April it was determined that she needed a hysterectomy and that she should get the relief she desired. My brother was supposed to graduate from college that May and she was determined to be there. She was nervous to have such an extensive surgery, but there was no other option. 

The day of the surgery, my dad and I sat in the waiting room for what seemed like too long to be good news kind of waiting. I attempted to study for my health and nutrition exam that I had to take the next day, but I was too distracted. Finally the surgeon approached my dad and me, visibly shaken but he bluntly told us that the surgery was complete, but once he began he found uterine cancer. He said he “thought he got it all” and to not tell my mom until she had time to recover from the surgery. I pushed past my dad and the doctor and ran to the car sobbing. My dad followed me and asked me why I was so upset when the doctor seemed to say he got all of the cancer. I screamed saying that my Mommy was never going to see me graduate college or get married. I just knew in my heart this was it. The next day when I took my exam, I failed a test for the first time in my entire life.

My mom was diagnosed with stage four uterine cancer and the prognosis was really bad. They suggested she have a port installed to receive intense chemo therapy. She met her goal of watching my brother graduate college in May and even though she was very uncomfortable, she made it. We picked out a wig and I put encouraging post-it notes all around the house to motivate her. The whole thing didn’t seem real. One day her stomach felt really hard to her, and she was scared and asked me to lie with her and hold her. We didn’t know it at the time but all the space created from the hysterectomy had filled her body with cancer. My mom’s mother and grandmother had raised her when she was growing up, but both passed away years ago. While I held her close, she told me I was all she had and it was like I was her mom now. I told her that I didn’t want to be her mom because I still needed her to be mine. She promised she would try to get better but told me how terrible she was feeling. That night I prayed that if she really wasn’t going to make it, for God to take her soon because I couldn’t handle seeing her suffer.

Little did I know that my prayer would be answered and things progressed quicker than I ever could have imagined. My mom only received one chemo treatment and never lost her hair. As she started feeling worse, she was admitted into the hospital. An insensitive medical student spoke right in front of her about how she didn’t have a lot of time left. 

I was shocked and hated his cold demeanor. 

I screamed at him and told him to leave the room and that he wasn’t welcome to ever come see my mom again. My mom was in complete sound mind and wanted to switch hospitals in the worst way. We tried to make that happen for her, even though moving her wasn’t advisable. That night, my mom was heavily sedated to help with the pain but I told her we were trying to get her moved to her preferred hospital. She weakly crossed her fingers for luck and nodded her head when I asked her if she loved me. I knew she did but was in the habit of always asking her to say it because I didn’t know what would happen each day. She asked to have her TV connected and we hugged before my brother and I headed home. 

My grandparents were due to arrive from Florida the next day. After we picked them up, we planned to bring them to see my mom. Unfortunately, that night was the last time I ever saw my beautiful Mommy. She passed way from a pulmonary embolism the next morning, which was a complication of the cancer pressing on her lungs. My dad was on the phone with my brother when it happened and I am convinced she couldn’t have passed with my brother and me there, because she loved us too much. On June 16, 2004 my mom at the age of 47 was gone and I at the age of 19 felt like my life was over.

Tom’s seemingly normal life didn’t go as planned either. I won’t go too in-depth to protect his privacy, but when he was a young teenager, his family moved to Pennsylvania when his dad got a promotion. He had a really hard time with the transition, and ultimately his family became just him, his dad, and sister following his parents’ painful divorce. His only solace during this difficult time was he got a beagle puppy, that he named K.C., since the dog was born in Kansas City. K.C. became Tom’s best friend and really helped him when he was feeling so bad. After living in Pennsylvania for 6 years, his dad was able to get transferred back to Long Island.

For years, Tom and I both lived at home with our solo dads and older siblings. We both felt a heavy responsibility towards our dads to make sure they were OK. I didn’t think I would ever find love, happiness, or a life of my own after being left with such a huge hole in my heart from losing my mom. I graduated college with a 3.97 grade point average and became an elementary teacher, always striving to make my mom proud. Tom and I both were homebodies who preferred quiet nights at home. We never went out and partied or drank like most twenty year olds. We both had to grow up overnight given our circumstances and just tried to do as best as we could.

In 2009, we were both encouraged by friends to try online dating. I set up my profile with one company who deemed me “un-matchable at this time.”  I tried a second company and the first night my profile was live I was bombarded with creeps. I almost called it quits immediately, but my best friend encouraged me to leave it up one more day. The next day Tom saw my profile and messaged me. We chatted back and forth and eventually I gave him my phone number. We arranged a first in person date at a restaurant near my house, but I told him I wanted to drive separately. On the ride there, I heard a song with the lyrics “don’t let me go” and wondered if I would ever meet someone who wouldn’t want to let me go. I figured I would probably have to weed through a lot of frogs before finding my prince, but at least I was finally getting out of the house a bit.

We “met” in front of the restaurant and confirmed we were who we were supposed to be. Tom told me he saw another woman out front smoking and really hoped that wasn’t me. Once we sat down our conversations flowed so easily and I felt like I knew Tom forever. I told him I was a teacher and would be starting my second year that fall. My first year I taught second grade and I told him how my principal was moving me to Kindergarten for the upcoming school year. I told him the name of the small Catholic school where I taught and he said it might be a long shot, but that his cousin had twin daughters who were attending Catholic school as kindergartners that fall. I said I would check my list of entering students that night when I got home. Dinner went too fast for us so we agreed to go to a nearby beach so we could talk more. We went down the wrong road which was dark and vacant, yet I wasn’t nervous at all. I could already tell what a gentleman Tom was and we ended the night with Italian ices and a hug. As soon as I got home I checked my list and his cousin’s twins were right on the top. I texted Tom immediately and we couldn’t believe it!

 That week, we spoke on the phone all week and planned our second date for the following Saturday. After dinner on that date, we played mini golf and walked around a nearby park. We both shared intimate details about our lives and the tough times we had endured. If you knew Tom, you would know how private he normally is and how unlikely it is that he would share such personal details. That night we both felt pretty confident that we had found “the one” in each other.

By that December, just a few months later, we were engaged. Even though we hadn’t known each other for long, both our families were very supportive of our decision to get married. My dad even offered Tom my mom’s engagement ring. Tom put my mom’s diamond in a setting he knew I would like and I loved having a piece of both of them on my hand each day. We had a two year engagement and a few months before the wedding, I discovered some old emails of my mom’s on our computer. While reading through them, I found some emails from her job where she was corresponding with someone from human resources. She was expressing how ill she was and wanted to know how my coverage might change if something happened to her. When I looked at the last name of the woman she was writing to, I did a double take. She had Tom’s last name, which is not a common last name at all. I quickly pieced things together and realized my mom had been talking to Tom’s aunt, the grandmother of the twins, years before Tom and I had met. 

We were married December 23, 2011. A few years later in 2015, we decided to start a family. We both had our hearts set on a girl. We had two nephews who we adored and I wanted to give the baby my mom’s first name, Phyllis, as her middle name. I had the perfect first name picked out if the baby was a girl too, Kacey, after Tom’s beloved K.C. We were elated when a blood test confirmed that the baby was in fact a girl. 

I’m positive Tom and Kacey were sent from heaven. In addition to all the ways we discovered our lives were intertwined, Tom told me months into our relationship about something that happened the night he drove to meet me. He said as he headed to the restaurant, he very clearly saw in the sky the silhouette of an angel in the clouds, with her arms outstretched to where we were meeting. At the time he didn’t say anything because he didn’t want me to think he was crazy, but once he did tell me, we knew it was my mom. He even bought me a snow globe with an angel inside that matches what he saw.

Lastly, my due date with Kacey was October 15th. As my due date approached, we along with our families started to guess when she would make her arrival. Tom shared with me that K.C.’s birthday was October 5th and that was his guess. I thought that was kind of early, especially since this was my first baby. On October 3rd, we watched a movie with Tom’s dad, which we do often to keep his dad company. I felt so at peace that night and prayed before bed that God would let me have the baby on October 5th because I felt that would be special for Tom. My water broke the following morning at 4am, on October 4th, and I thought “well, that’s pretty close.”  Little did I know that I would be in labor for over 30 hours and our special little miracle, Kacey Phyllis was born right on October 5th. When we came home from the hospital Tom showed me K.C.’s tags from when he was born with October 5th printed on them. My parents wedding anniversary was October 6th and they would have been married 36 years. Out of 365 days in a year, we couldn’t believe what date Kacey decided to make her entrance into the world.

Overall, I am positive that Tom and Kacey were heaven sent. I’m sure that God, my mom, and K.C. are watching over Tom, Kacey Phyllis, and me every day. 

So God Made a Mother book by Leslie Means

If you liked this, you'll love our book, SO GOD MADE A MOTHER available now!

Order Now

Check out our new Keepsake Companion Journal that pairs with our So God Made a Mother book!

Order Now
So God Made a Mother's Story Keepsake Journal

Jamie Stidd

My name is Jamie Stidd and I am a teacher, who taught Kindergarten for the past six years, before taking a break to raise my daughter. I live on the North Fork of Long Island, NY with my husband Tom, our 4 month old daughter Kacey, and our beagle Indy. I love spending time with my family and friends, and being the best mom and wife that I can be. For fun, I enjoy crafting, writing, cooking and baking. My personal blog is: http://lovingcraftingandcookinginthecountry.blogspot.com/

I Am Not My Child’s Death

In: Cancer, Child Loss, Faith, Grief
I Am Not My Child's Death www.herviewfromhome.com

We are NOT what has happened to us or what this world says we are. That is not what defines us. While we are grieving parents, that is not what our whole story has to be about. Although, at times, we feel that our story is over. We ask, how do we go on and live full lives without our sweet Sophie with us? I’m still not 100 percent sure I know the answer to that. BUT the Lord says I am beloved. I am redeemed and accepted. I am holy and chosen. I am righteous and complete. I am...

Keep Reading

I’m Not Sure How Long I’ll Need an Antidepressant to Feel Normal…and That’s OK

In: Cancer, Child Loss, Grief, Mental Health
I'm Not Sure How Long I'll Need an Antidepressant to Feel Normal...and That's OK www.herviewfromhome.com

I tried to wean off of Zoloft and couldn’t. And that’s OK. I had never really been aware of the world of antidepressants. My life has been relatively uneventful—with the normal ups and downs that most of us go through. I knew people on medication for depression but never understood. How can you be THAT sad that you can’t just be positive and make the best of your circumstances? How can someone be THAT unhappy ALL the time to need medication? I didn’t get it. I felt bad for people going through it. Then my 2-year-old was diagnosed with Stage...

Keep Reading

To the Young Warriors Fighting Cancer, You Are Superheroes

In: Cancer, Child, Child Loss, Health
To the Young Warriors Fighting Cancer, You Are Superheroes www.herviewfromhome.com

Most people never get to meet their heroes. I have, in fact—I have met many heroes. These heroes didn’t set out for greatness; they fell victim to a terrible disease and faced it with courage, might and bravery like I have never seen before. And when we talk about this type of battle, there is no such thing as losing. whether the battle ended in death, life, or debility, each of these heroes defeated. My heroes are the innocent children who battle cancer. I high-fived, hugged, wept over, laughed and played with my heroes for 10 years as a nurse. And you better believe I...

Keep Reading

Cancer Can’t Take That

In: Cancer
Cancer Can't Take That www.herviewfromhome.com

“Hi, I’m Martha!” A lady around my mom’s age with tightly curled blonde hair approached me at my boyfriend’s church softball game. “I’m Jen,” I said, awkwardly waving though she only stood three feet from me. Martha pointed. “That’s my daughter, Stacey, and her kids, Brady, Harleigh and Boston is the baby.” I saw a chunky baby in a baby carrier. “Harleigh is a cute name,” I said. “It’s spelled H-A-R-L-E-I-G-H,” she announced. “Interesting spelling,” I said, bemused. That is how I met Martha. I’d been to my boyfriend’s church once and was then attending one of their softball games....

Keep Reading

I Wish My House Was Messy

In: Cancer, Child Loss, Grief
I Wish My House Was Messy www.herviewfromhome.com

My house is always clean. The laundry gets done quickly. The dishes are rarely stacked up in the sink. My counters are hardly ever sticky and nothing gets spilled. Everything gets put in its place and there is no clutter. My floor rarely needs sweeping and I never step on or trip over toys. My house is usually in perfect order . . . and it’s infuriating. You see, my house used to be a wreck a lot of the time. We had diapers, wipes, blankets, books, applesauce pouches, Cheerios, toys, movies, and any other number of toddler paraphernalia strewn...

Keep Reading

How This 10-Year-Old Is Helping Save Lives From Inside the Oval Office

In: Cancer, Inspiration
How This 10-Year-Old Is Helping Save Lives From Inside the Oval Office www.herviewfromhome.com

The world of childhood cancer is one you aren’t familiar with, until you have to be. It’s a world where more than 40,000 children undergo cancer treatment each year. In this world the average age at diagnosis is six years old, and one in five of those kids will die. It’s the leading cause of death by disease in children under the age of 15 in the U.S. No one wants to be a part of that world. Childhood cancer is not one disease–there are 16 major types of pediatric cancers and over 100 subtypes. The causes of most childhood cancers...

Keep Reading

I Knew I had Cancer Because I Trusted my Intuition

In: Cancer
I Knew I had Cancer Because I Trusted my Intuition www.herviewfromhome.com

Today marks the anniversary of having my cancerous thyroid removed. This day always makes me think about the power of intuition and, how you should trust it. It’s real. Maybe because my dad was only 50 when he died, I was able to entertain the idea: I might get cancer, too. I knew. Breaking into tears on a run surrounded by girlfriends, a year before my diagnosis. I feared. I had it. Something wasn’t right. Months passed. But with gentle nagging from my accountability partner, I finally made an appointment. It wasn’t until the end of that meeting, I casually...

Keep Reading

Having Problems is a Privilege

In: Cancer, Faith, Journal
Having Problems is a Privilege www.herviewfromhome.com

The smell of smoke alerted me to yet another mishap in our morning mayhem. I wanted to provide some sort of breakfast to my eldest son as he returned to college after the holiday break. Each school morning begins with such chaos at our house. Between my daughter’s tangled hair and her brother’s missing socks, I realized I had burnt the cheese toast (the only thing I could find as some sort of parting breakfast for our firstborn). You know when cheese toast is the best you have to offer, you are already in dire straits. Not only was our...

Keep Reading

The Question No Grieving Mother Wants To Hear

In: Cancer, Child Loss, Faith
The Question No Grieving Mother Wants To Hear www.herviewfromhome.com

  My name is Shelby, and I’m a mom without a child. My two-year-old daughter, Sophie was diagnosed with Stage 4 T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma in May 2017. We had 12 weeks of her responding well to treatment when she unexpectedly had a MASSIVE relapse in August. Our doctors had never seen a child relapse so soon in 40-plus years of practicing. We were in the club that even cancer families don’t want to be in, the “rare disease” club. We spent nine days in the ICU getting 15 doses of adult “rescue chemo” that saved her life and knocked her...

Keep Reading

Cancer Warrior, Your Star Will Never Fade

In: Cancer, Inspiration
Cancer Warrior, Your Star Will Never Fade www.herviewfromhome.com

How do you stand so tall? How do you walk so proud? How do you smile easily? How do you laugh so beautifully? How do you comfort others? How do you shine with such grace? With such class? With such dignity? I use to ask my wife those questions. The ultimate Cancer Warrior. She fought so hard. So bravely. With a spirit that left the World in awe. And now, I’m asking you. You:  The Cancer Warrior. How do you do it? To say that I admired her, well, that would be the ultimate of understatements. To say that I...

Keep Reading