Tortillas make food fun and healthy too! They are great for a sit down meal and they can be portable for running out the door. The really nice thing about tortillas, they are handy and you can buy them in different flavors such as flour, whole wheat, tomato basil and spinach. The tomato basil and spinach are referred to as wraps, still a tortilla when you break it down. My garden looks pretty good and the produce section at our local grocery store is amazing! I love this time of year because if I do not currently have it in my garden ready for harvest, it is at a good price at the local market. You can also check out your own local farmer’s market, then get your creative juices flowing!
The following recipe is a base recipe for quesadillas. I got to the market and chose the veggies in season and altered a few. They were out of zucchini, so in place of zucchini, I selected a yellow squash. I also found a colorful orange bell pepper to give the dish a nice pop of color. Here is the base recipe – remember to add and subtract the veggies you and your family like along with the toppings. Guacamole would go well with this and you could omit the meat, or change it up to pork or beef.
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. red onion
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, color of your choice, cut in strips
- 1 small zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut in strips
- 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 6 inch tortillas, your choice whole wheat, flour, tomato basil etc.
- 1/2 c. your favorite salsa
- 1/4 c. low-fat sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. cumin (optional)
- 1 large can cooked chicken or 1/2 c. cubed cooked chicken, pork or beef (optional)
- 1. In skillet, heat oil, add onions to saute until tender, when half way done, add the peppers and squash, cook to desired tenderness. Add tomatoes at the very end so they are not over cooked, just heated through.
- 2. Heat griddle or a clean skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray top of tortilla shell, place the vegetables and meat on 1/2 of the inside of the tortilla, top with cheddar cheese.
- 3. Fold quesadilla over and cook on each side till golden brown. Note: The whole wheat tortilla will brown just slightly.
- 4. Continue this process until all vegetables and meat have been used. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!