Written by Diane Becker @ Common Ground Nebraska
I love this “Lazy Day Stew” recipe because all you do is take all of the vegetables and meat, throw it in the oven and forget about it for the rest of the day and let it cook. It’s a whole meal in one dish!
One important ingredient in this recipe is carrots. I love feeding carrots to my family because they are very healthy, but there are questions on store-bought vs. organic carrots. I buy both. I like to support my local organic farmers, but I know that the store-bought carrots are perfectly fine and healthy.
As long as you wash the carrots thoroughly, there is no nutritional difference in either type of carrot.
Enjoy this recipe that I love to feed to my active family!
2 lbs. cooked stew meat
2-3 potatoes, diced
1 cup celery, thickly sliced
2 cups carrots, thickly sliced
1 onion, diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp tapioca
1. Spray a 9×13 inch pan and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Spread stew meat evenly in pan.
3. Spread diced potatoes across the meat in the pan.
4. Follow spreading celery then carrots evenly in the pan over the meat and potatoes.
5. Pour tomato sauce over meat and vegetables evenly.
6. Sprinkle sugar over dish, followed by salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Sprinkle tapioca over the dish.
8. Cover with foil and tightly seal.
9. Put in oven and don’t remove foil or open oven for 3 hours. Enjoy!