Summertime is grilling time and here is one of the best recipes for BBQ Pork EVER! The rub on this pork works great to lock in the moisture and saturate the meat with deep rich flavors of exotic coriander and licorice scented fennel seed. The touch of coffee flavor adds a bold mellow note that puts this dish over the top!
The caramelized and crispy outer layer is what everyone will want. When you serve this with grilled peaches you get a great bite of juicy sweet against the smokey pork that is a symphony of summer love. The rich flavor of this rub is hard to beat.
Today most barbecues have a built in attachment for rotisserie. If you have this option, simply pierce the meat through the center with the skewer and screw on the prongs to hold the meat in place. The best part about rotisserie cooking is that it is very little work – once you have the meat cooking, it’s easy to relax.
The trick to getting great grill marks on your peaches is to lightly oil the grill with vegetable oil, make sure the grill is nice and hot, then baste the second side with a little brown sugar butter.
This is recipe has become one of our family’s favorite summer dishes. In the wintertime you can substitute the peaches for sauteed apples in ginger butter. I hope you will be blessed by this style of everyday gourmet cooking! From our Christian Home to yours~ Bon Appetit!
ROTISSERIE PORK WITH FENNEL AND CORIANDER – SERVED WITH GRILLED PEACHES
- 5 lb pork loin
- 4 tbsp fennel seed
- 4 tbsp coriander
- 2 tbsp freeze dried coffee
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 cloves of garlic, sliced into halves, reserve 4 for sauce
- 1 medium shallot, chopped fine
- 6 ripe peaches, stone removed, halved
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chardonay wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 4 springs fresh thyme, stems removed
1. Make the rub. In a small bowl mix together the fennel seed, coriander, coffee, salt and red pepper flakes.
2. Prepare the meat for rotisserie: Insert the rotisserie skewer through the center of the pork. With a knife, pierce 24 tiny holes around the pork. Wedge 24 garlic halves into the meat. Cover the outside of the pork all over with the rub, packing it on thick. Then fasten the outer prongs on the skewer to hold the meat in place. Secure the appliance on the BBQ. Place a shallow baking pan on the grill underneath the meat to catch the drippings. Using the rotisserie mode, cook on 375º with the hood closed, for approximately two hours, or until the meat is crispy on the outside, and a meat thermometer reaches 155º degrees in the center. Once the meat is done, set aside to rest while you make the sauce.
3. Prepare the sauce: On medium low heat saute garlic and shallots in 1 tbsp evoo til golden brown. Add white wine and chicken broth. Add the pan drippings and reduce for 5-10 minutes.
4. Prepare the peaches: In a small pan melt the butter and mix in the brown sugar. Set aside. Brush the grates of a hot grill with an oiled paper towel. Place the peach halves on the grill, cut side down. Grill for 2 minutes and turn. Then spoon the melted butter over the peaches. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until you see deep grill markings, then remove.
5. Slice the meat and serve on an oval platter and garnish with the grilled peaches all around and the sauce on the side. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.