What’s your dinner made of tonight? That’s a question top of mind many nights a week at my house! Friday night, I made Pesto Steak and Arugula Pizza and I can honestly say it was probably one of the top 5 best meals I have ever made. It was scrumptious!!!
This pizza is simply a delicious new take on a pizza and has great nutrients in every bite. I did change this recipe a bit and used fresh mozzarella instead of the shredded Italian cheese blend, but either way, it’s a win-win!!! I actually made my own pesto, as I needed a reason to use some of my fresh basil in my garden.
You may also ask yourself…what is arugula? Arugula is a spicy little leaf, which some describe as bitter and others characterize as having a “peppery-mustardy” flavor. It can be found with many of the other lettuce options at most supermarkets. Try this and let me know your feedback! It’s an A+ in my book!
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Steak boneless, cut 1 inch thick (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 refrigerated whole grain, whole wheat or regular pizza dough (about 1 pound)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup yellow and/or red cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1 cup arugula or baby spinach leaves
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Combine pesto and lemon juice in small bowl. Evenly brush beef steak with 1 tablespoon pesto mixture.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 13 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 10 x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place dough on baking sheet and pat dough to edges of baking sheet. Spread dough with remaining 3 tablespoons pesto mixture. Top with tomatoes and cheese. Bake in 425°F oven, 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Carve steak into slices; season with salt, if desired. Top pizza evenly with arugula and steak slices; sprinkle with red pepper, as desired.