When I took a bite of this divine raw vegan carrot cake I was so blown away that I could convert to become a vegan at that very moment! I’m so in love with vegan food at the moment. Guys, seriously you need to try this one out!
This raw vegan carrot cake can be turned into energy balls and totally suitable for toddlers, just blitz a bit longer until the mixture gets smoother texture. They are a perfect alternative to sweets and are refined sugar free. The sweetness comes from the medjool dates.
While some mothers are fine giving nuts to their babies at an early age (9-12 months old) some don’t start until they have reached early toddler-hood or even later. It also depends on if there are any nuts allergies the family. I would consult your pediatrician first if you are unsure.
I coated the balls with desiccated coconut and we all loved them!
Served one small cake for 2 adults.
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup medjool dates (I used 5)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup trail mix that has been soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained (in used sultana, pistachio & cashew)
MAPLE CASHEW FROSTING
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence / powder (I used powder)
- 1 tsp juice of fresh lemon
- 2 tbsp water
1. Squeeze the liquid out of the carrots as much as you can. Add carrot, coconuts, dates, cinnamon, trail mix and coconut flour in a food processor and blend until they are sticky and easy to form a shape.
2. Prepare the pan of your choice by lining it with baking paper. You can use a cake pan (like I did) or muffin tins.
3. Frosting – add cashews, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla essence / powder and lemon juice in food processor. Blitz until it looks like a paste. Let it stand in the fridge to cool down.
4. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake or cupcakes. If you are making a layer cake like me, don’t overfill the middle layer or it will come out. Sprinkle with desiccated coconut and keep in fridge until ready to serve.