“The person who said it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.” Chinese proverb
When we finally make up our mind to follow a dream we need all the support and help we can get during the process. As we all know, it is so easy to get thrown off course by obstacles like fear, procrastination and self-doubt. Oh my!
While we are all fully capable of sabotaging our own progress, do you know what another common reason is for people abandoning their goals?
Dream crushers! Yep.
I bet you know exactly the people I am talking about. They are the people in our lives that have the uncanny ability to take the wind right out of sails with just a few simple words. They’re also the ones who knock us down when we’re doing well and those who quietly celebrate when we’re at our worst.
Dream crushers can come in many forms: friends, acquaintances, strangers and very often even family. They typically hide behind the guise that they care about us but let’s be honest, they have a funny way of showing it. In the end, their responses are just a reflection of their own insecurities. Right?
I could always spot these people from a mile away. We all know the old saying. “When the times get tough, the tough get going.” Well for this group of naysayers my saying is, “When things go right for us, they go left.”
You see, I have always had a quiet confidence but I never have been one to brag or even share my accomplishments with many people. It got the point that I was almost hiding the good things in my life for fear that I would either piss people off or have them say “I told you so” if I failed. Then I decided that…
…my life is just that – MY LIFE and I am proud of it.
If the Dream Crushers don’t want to hear my accomplishments, then they can simply stop listening.
I have let go of many people throughout my life because none of us need friends like that. So you may be thinking, is it really that lonely at the top? Well, not if you replace the Dream Crushers with Dream Catchers. It may mean letting go or distancing yourself from some friends and family but you will be better off. Trust me.
Here are 13 pieces of some helpful advice from someone who truly wants you to succeed!
- If you can, while starting out, keep your goals to yourself until you have some successes under your belt. Then be loud and proud.
- Don’t let other people’s negativity stop you from following your dreams – ever.
- The only person’s permission you need is yours – end of story.
- If you get unsolicited advice along the way, say thank you and forget it.
- Tap into your unstoppable self by proving people wrong – always a great motivator.
- You will be so proud of yourself when you get past the hump of giving a hoot about what other people think.
- If you do fail, who cares, that’s part of the process. You’ll learn from your failures.
- Don’t let fear hold you back because there are wonderful things on the other side of fear.
- Eliminate your glass ceilings and blocks – never limit yourself. Dream big. Then dream even bigger.
- Let the dream crushers in your life go.
- Surround yourself with supportive like-minded people who have already achieved similar goals.
- Be a role model for others. Your actions will inspire others to follow in your fearless footsteps.
- You never know, maybe you will convert your dream crushers into dream catchers.
I hope this has helped you to gain enough confidence needed to kick negativity to the curb and stay on your dream path. You are worth it.
Keep on. Be unstoppable. Shine.