The “Benadryl Challenge” on TikTok is making the rounds again—and it’s a deadly trend. 

The social media challenge first surfaced three years ago: take a large amount of diphenhydramine (more commonly known as Benadryl) in an attempt to have hallucinations. Teenagers latched on to the stunt and started filming each other and posting videos of the results on TikTok. The challenge resulted in dangerous cases of diphenhydramine poisoning and caused the death of a 15-year-old girl in 2020.

This week, the challenge has claimed another life.

Thirteen-year-old Jacob Stevens died after his family says he tried the Benadryl challenge with a group of his friends. Jacob spent a week on a ventilator in an Ohio hospital but did not survive. 

Jacob’s father Justin told local TV station WSYX he has a warning for parents after losing his son: know what they’re doing online. “Keep an eye at what they’re doing on that phone. Talk to them about the situation I want everyone to know about my son.”

RELATED: Dr. Laura Berman Fights for Social Media Change after Teen Son’s Overdose Death

The company that manufactures Benadryl posted a warning about the challenge on its website:  

We understand that consumers may have heard about an online “challenge” involving the misuse or abuse of diphenhydramine. The challenge, which involves ingestion of excessive quantities of diphenhydramine, is a dangerous trend and should be stopped immediately. BENADRYL® products and other diphenhydramine products should only be used as directed by the label.

Collaboration and education are critical to putting an end to this dangerous misuse. We are working with TikTok and other social platforms to remove content that showcases this behavior. We will look to partner across industry and with key stakeholders to address this dangerous behavior.

If you believe that you or someone you know has taken BENADRYL® or other diphenhydramine products in a manner not directed by the label, please contact your local poison control center.

Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine commonly used to treat mild upper respiratory symptoms like a runny nose or sneezing that are often a result of allergies. Taking too much of the drug can cause severe side effects like heart problems, seizures, coma, and even death. 

So God Made a Mother book by Leslie Means

If you liked this, you'll love our book, SO GOD MADE A MOTHER available now!

Order Now

Check out our new Keepsake Companion Journal that pairs with our So God Made a Mother book!

Order Now
So God Made a Mother's Story Keepsake Journal

Her View From Home

Millions of mothers connected by love, friendship, family and faith. Join our growing community. 1,000+ writers strong. We pay too!   Find more information on how you can become a writer on Her View From Home at https://herviewfromhome.com/contact-us/write-for-her//

Dear Daughter, Don’t Rush

In: Motherhood, Teen, Tween
Tween girl smiling, color photo

Dear daughter, Don’t rush. You were born in a brightly lit room, surrounded by a flurry of activity. You were rushed to the heated bed where the nursing staff could ensure you were healthy and thriving. You cried because of the loud sounds, the commotion, and the chaos. Once swaddled and resting in my arms, you were quiet, curious, and content. It was precisely how it should be. You were brought home in a car seat that we accidentally buckled you into incorrectly. You cried because we hurriedly tried to get you safely to your new home. As new parents...

Keep Reading

Dr. Laura Berman Fights For Social Media Change After Teen Son’s Overdose Death

In: Living, Motherhood, Teen, Tween
Dr. Laura Berman and son selfie

My heart broke for OWN TV host Dr. Laura Berman when she lost her 16-year-old son Sammy in February. In a heartbreaking Instagram post, she said, “My beautiful boy is gone. 16 years old. Sheltering at home. A drug dealer connected with him on Snapchat and gave him fentinyl [sic] laced Xanax or Percocet (toxicology will tell) and he overdosed in his room.” As the mom of two teens myself, Sammy’s easy access to drugs and his accidental death under the watch of very involved and careful parents scared and moved me. None of us are immune to this type...

Keep Reading

TikTok is Setting a 1-Hour Screen Limit for Kids and Teens

In: Living
Teen hands holding smartphone with TikTok logo on screen

Sorry kids, one hour is enough.  That’s the message from the TikTok to teenagers this week as the massive social media platform’s head of trust and safety announced new screen limits for all accounts registered to kids and teens under 18.  Once 60 minutes of usage is reached on those accounts, teens will have to enter a passcode in order to keep watching‚ forcing them to make “an active decision” to spend more time on the platform. For kids under 13, a parent or guardian will have to set a passcode to allow 30 extra minutes of time.  TikTok said...

Keep Reading