**This is a flash giveaway post! Find out how you win a FREE 10-class punchcard for adult Zumba classes at KRave Underground in Kearney! Scroll to the bottom for details!**
Written By: Sanae Shea @ Zumba with Sanae
Are you intrigued by Zumba but too intimidated to try a class? No worries. I’ve got your back. Zumba Fitness is more than an exercise class, it is an experience. Empowering, addicting, good for your soul and it burns a ton of calories! These 8 steps will give you the confidence you need to shake your way back into shape.
1. Arrive a little early and introduce yourself to the instructor. Tell her you are a newbie. She will give you a few tips and calm your nerves.
2. Bring a friend. You will have so much fun laughing at/with each other that you won’t even care if you don’t know what you are doing.
3. Dress for success. Flashy Zumba tanks and tassel pants aren’t required but you will need a proper pair of tennis shoes. Preferably without a heavy tread. If you are on the busty side, double up on the sports bra! And if you’ve had a couple of babies, visit the potty before class.
Looking for Zumbawear? Use Sanae’s affiliate code SHOPSHEA for 10% off your total purchase at zumba.com
4. Don’t get hung up on the feet. You will figure out the basic steps after a few classes. In the mean time, take out the arms or take out the feet if you are struggling with a step. When in doubt, march it out but no matter what KEEP MOVING!
5. So you are of the anal sort and want to follow your instructor step by step? Forget about left, right, right and wrong. Imagine you are looking in a mirror and the instructor is your reflection. Mirror her movements whether she is facing the class or facing away. If she grapevines to the side door, you move to the side door. If she walks towards you, you walk towards her.
6. Zumba is not your mom’s aerobics class! Don’t let the unstructured party atmosphere of a Zumba class freak you out. Seasoned instructors will face the class, move around and possibly even let their experienced students take the stage. What you won’t find her doing is counting and verbally cueing every step. Relax, feel the music and go with the flow. And FYI, Zumba moves and music can get a little spicy. If getting your sexy back makes you uncomfortable, you might want to stick to your mom’s aerobics class.
7. The secret in the bootie shake is all in your head. In order to free your body, you must free your mind. Practice at home. Stand in front of a mirror and pretend your feet are glued to the floor. Now imagine a mouse running up your leg. What would you do? You would be shaking your tushy off that’s what! And that’s how you shake in Zumba class. So go ahead and shake what your mama gave ya!
8. Not all instructors are created equal. Each and every instructor has his/her own unique style and that is the beauty of Zumba. I encourage you to test out as many classes as possible until you find one you like. Visit the Zumba website to find a class near you. Search for instructors who belong to ZIN (Zumba Instructor Network) and have multiple licenses. These instructors are serious about what they do and have the most training. They are more likely to provide you with a quality Zumba experience.
Visit my website for a complete list of FAQ and more information about Zumba Fitness. There are many fall sessions starting soon so this is the perfect time to get started. Chances are you won’t be the only Zumba virgin in class.
See you on the dance floor!
What intimidates you about Zumba? What do you love? Leave a comment and you’ll be entered in to win a FREE 10-class punchcard for adult Zumba classes at KRave Underground in Kearney! For a second chance, simply hit “like” on this post and be sure to tell us you “liked” it. Winner will be chosen at random. Deadline to enter is this Friday at 4pm. We’ll announce the winner at 5pm on Friday, August 24.