Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. Our apple trees are usually loaded with apples to make so many different things with them. I enjoy freezing apple sauce, canning apple juice, apple butter, apple pie filling, and also making some fresh baked apple goodies.
My kiddos also love eating them, so it makes for an easy snack! Just pick one off the tree and start eating!
As far as baked goods go, first up this year was my Aunt Darlene’s Apple Nut Coffee Cake. She is an amazing baker, her cinnamon rolls are the best, but this coffee cake is a real winner too! Plus it’s so easy to make! It takes about 10 minutes to get it in the oven and about 30 minutes to bake it and your whole house will smell amazing!
I love this coffee cake for breakfast, but it is sweet enough that you could serve it as a dessert with some whipped cream. It’s also a nice thing to take to potlucks, church breakfasts, brunches, etc. Here’s the recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup peeled, diced apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Nuts (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) and set aside.
- Cream the sour cream, shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla with a mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the diced apples.
- Spread into a greased 9x9 pan.
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, margarine, and nuts (optional) and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the pan.
- This can be eaten for breakfast or as a dessert with whipped cream!