Brussels Sprouts….yes I said brussels sprouts, not brussel sprouts. This is the PC terminology! In the store, I get many questions about how to cook and prepare brussels sprouts. I think this is because they are one of the most feared and dreaded vegetable. It has such a negative stigma and I’m not sure why?!
When prepared correctly, this vegetable is quite delicious. Your vision may go back to when your mom cooked them and they were stinky and slimy. SO not the case with this salad. You can use this recipe in any season (using tasty seasonal vegetables and fruits). While it clearly is not winter, I like the winter variation the best which is why I am choosing to showcase this one!
I hope you are brave enough to give this feared vegetable a try!
FOUR-SEASONS BEEF AND BRUSSELS SPROUT CHOPPED SALAD
- 12 ounces cooked (leftover) beef Steak or Roast, thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts (about 10 ounces)
- 1 medium tart red or green apple or pear, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat champagne vinaigrette or honey mustard dressing
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola, goat or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOUR-SEASONS BEEF AND BRUSSELS SPROUT CHOPPED SALAD
- Combine beef Steak, Brussels sprouts, apple, celery and cranberries in large bowl.
- Add dressing; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with cheese and nuts, if desired.
Spring Variation: Prepare recipe as directed above, substituting 1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries for apple, thinly sliced jicama strips for celery, chopped dates for cranberries, poppy seed dressing for champagne vinaigrette and sliced almonds for walnuts (optional).
Summer Variation: Prepare recipe as directed above, substituting 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple for apple, red bell pepper strips for celery, dried blueberries for cranberries, poppy seed dressing or red wine vinaigrette for champagne vinaigrette and chopped macadamia nuts for walnuts (optional).
Autumn Variation: Prepare recipe as directed above, substituting 1-1/2 cups red grape halves for apple, shredded carrot for celery, raisins for cranberries, red wine vinaigrette or coleslaw dressing for champagne vinaigrette and shelled pumpkin seeds for walnuts (optional).
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR FOUR-SEASONS BEEF AND BRUSSELS SPROUT CHOPPED SALAD
Nutrition information per serving, Winter Variation: 357 calories; 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 690 mg sodium; 30 g carbohydrate; 5.0 g fiber; 32 g protein; 11.7 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 32.0 mcg selenium; 5.3 mg zinc; 118.8 mg choline.
**Recipe and photo compliments of The Beef Checkoff.