Gluten free is all the rage right now!
I have been searching for a good gluten free cupcake for a while and struggled to find one that tasted good! I took two different recipes, tweaked them and created this delicious recipe!
Whether you believe you should cut out gluten or not (thats a post for a different day!) you need to make these cupcakes! They do not disappoint. I have made them several times and taken them to different events and they always seem to be a crowd pleaser!
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted*
- 1/4 almond milk
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips
*the coconut oil is optional! that sounds weird but one batch I made with and one I accidentally forgot it! I almost liked it better without
Cookie Dough Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk (full fat works best)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips plus
1. Start out making your cookie dough, mix all your wet ingredients together in a bowl, then add your almond flour slowly until well combined. Then add your chocolate chips. Make into mini cookie dough bites (about a tablespoon in size) set in freezer while you prepare your cupcakes!
Now to make your cupcakes!
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper cups and spray the insides with non stick spray to prevent them from sticking. Mix together the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add in the eggs, maple syrup, honey, coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla. Stir well to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
3. Fill each cupcake liner about 1/3-1/2 full with cupcake batter. Then place a cookie dough bite in the center of each one. Then add just enough batter to cover the top of the cookie dough bite.
4. Bake for 12-17 minutes or until the cupcake part is completely cooked. The center of the cupcake will be a little doughy due to the cookie dough bite.
5. Place on a cooling rack until cooled. Frost with your favorite frosting and top with mini chocolate chips!