Written by Linda Schwarz @ Common Ground Nebraska
My family and I grow organic corn, wheat, soybeans, sorghum, and alfalfa. Upon seeing the increased importation of food from places like China and Mexico, we were encouraged to branch out into market farming of fruits and vegetables.
The challenges of food production in a cold and dry climate like Nebraska led us to explore greenhouse and low tunnel production. The construction of these facilities has allowed us to extend our growing season to year round production.
If you like a little sweet ‘n spice with your food, you’re going to love this recipe. We like make this with our homegrown jalapenos and herbs, and is an easy one you can throw in the slow cooker for the day and expect a great meal for dinner!
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 (12-oz) package cranberries
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon cumin
2 – 3 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 1/2 lb boneless pork roast
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 cup cranberry jalapeno relish
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 jalapenos, chopped
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
3 sprigs worth fresh thyme
freshly ground black pepper
To make the jalapeno relish:
1. Combine water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add cranberries. Return to a boil; cook 10 minutes without stirring.
2. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix lightly. Refrigerate. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
To make the pulled pork using the jalapeno relish:
1. The night before you plan to serve, place all ingredients in a marinating container or resealable bag. Refrigerate overnight.
2. The next morning, pour everything into a four quart slow cooker. Cook on low 8-10 hours.
3. Shred the pork with two forks in the slow cooker. Toss to evenly distribute the sauce.
4. Serve on rolls.
Feature Photo: “final pork sandwich.jpg”
Volunteer Photo: “LSchwarz_075.jpg”
Video Link: n/a
Hot Link to Recipe on CG Blog: http://commongroundnebraska.com/cranberry-sauced-pulled-pork-recipe/
Meta Tags: #cgconvo, food, CommonGround, farming, modern agriculture, family, family farming, recipe, healthy food, food safety, safe food, kids, moms, pork, corn, soybean, vegetable, organic, local