With this great family (and kid!) friendly recipe, we wanted to share some time-saving tips that every gal should know about food safety!
1. A Clean Start. Before you start, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds under warm water. Clean countertops, knives, utensils…any surfaces that contact food during preparation to prevent foodborne bacteria from spreading. Rinse and repeat. Often.
2. Divide and Conquer. Separate meat, poultry and seafood from other foods to prevent contamination. Keep them separate.
3. The 2-Hour Rule. Always refrigerate perishable foods within two hours to prevent foodborne bacteria from growing. The 1-Hour Rule: When outdoor temperatures exceed 90 F, refrigerate perishable items within one hour.
4. You Can’t See Done. Proper cooking kills bacteria that may cause illness. Use a thermometer to ensure food is safe. Unsure of the right temperature? Reference the chart below.
5. The Food Safety Mantra: When in doubt, throw it out.
Now enjoy this Pizza Casserole (freezes great and feeds a small army!)
1 (12-oz.) bag wide egg noodles
2 lbs. hamburger
1 onion, chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans tomato soup
1 (6-oz.) pkg. pepperoni
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
½ tsp. garlic salt
Sliced black olives, optional
1. Cook noodles to al dente.
2. While noodles are cooking, brown hamburger and onion together, then drain.
3. Mix soups and hamburger mix together.
4. Spray a 11 x 15 casserole dish (or make 2 smaller-sized casseroles – this works great in the freezer!) with cooking oil, then add noodles to the bottom of the pan.
5. Layer meat mixture on top of noodles, and top with cheese.
6. Generously layer pepperoni slices on top of cheese. (Add black olives if you want – or add other veggies to make it “supreme”!).
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.