These stuffed red bell peppers turned out so yummy and loaded with protein, veggies and healthy grains. A great combination for a healthy, balanced meal for your babies / toddlers and the rest of the family!
Both toddlers finished one each, even the fussy one!
If you have left over cooked quinoa in the fridge, you can easily whip these up in 30 minutes. Make sure you have laid out all the ingredients before preparation. As a busy mum, I don’t always have the time to stand in the kitchen too long. I always aim to make something easy, quick and healthy for the kids and myself and leave the fancy cooking for the weekend when hubby is at home to look after the two monkeys!
Three benefits by cutting them side/long way as opposed to cut off the top:
- You double the amount of portions
- They get cooked quicker
- Perfect little portions for your kids or as starters
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup / 1 tin of chickpeas (I used store bought tin with salt so that I didn’t have to add too much salt in the mixture)
- 1 large tomato (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (for topping)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 stalks scallion (chopped) (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- a pinch of pink salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional and omit for babies under 12m old)
- 3 large red bell peppers / capsicum (washed, cut side way and de-seeded)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / 390 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, chickpeas, tomatoes, feta cheese, parsley, scallion, cumin, garlic, onion, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Spoon the filling into each half of the bell peppers and sprinkle with cheddar cheese in top.
4. Place on prepared baking dish and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, about 20-30minutes. Serve immediately.