If there is one food I have a hard time passing up it is pizza. Something about mixing doughy bread, melty cheese, and garlicky tomato sauce just makes my taste buds go crazy! With that being said many years ago I set out on a cooking adventure to make my pizza from scratch. I quickly found a crust recipe that has been tried and true. The cheese is super easy because I normally stick to the shredded mozzarella from the store. My struggle came in finding a sauce recipe that was just the right balance of herbs, sweetness, tomato flavor, and thickness. Many recipes I tried were not very flavorful or they were really runny. In addition many recipes that had good taste took cooking time on the stove and the truth is that I typically do not think about making the sauce until the crust is baking which for these recipes are a few hours too late. Then I found a recipe shared by my sister-in-law in our family cookbook. She calls the sauce “NY Style Pizza Sauce”. This recipe immediatelyappealed to me because…
- It called for ingredients I had all on hand….
- It had a wide variety of spices including some sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes…
- And (drum roll please)…you DO NOT need to cook it!
That all being said I tried the recipe and have never looked back. In my mind this is the perfect pizza sauce recipe. The recipe makes enough sauce to make 2 pizzas. Normally I make a batch, use half of it and freeze the other half. Then when I am making pizza again I thaw the frozen sauce in the microwave. Super easy! I hope this recipe encourages you to take the adventure of making your own pizza! Enjoy and happy eating!
The Best Pizza Sauce
All You Need:
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or canola)
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
All You Do:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spread sauce over your crust, top with cheese and toppings, bake your pizza!